Beta 1,3 Glucan Supplement

Hi, I am writing from Italy and I would like to know if Beta 1,3 Glucan supplement may help restoring immune system in people on HAART or it can cause side effects? Thank you and sorry for my English.

Beta glycans are carbohydrates that can be found in foods, such as mushrooms, oats, barley and yeast. Very few studies in humans are available to evaluate the efficacy or safety of beta glycans, particularly in HIV/AIDS. The Food and Drug Administration classifies beta glycans ("baker's yeast") as GRAS ("generally recognized as safe"). However, there are reports demonstrating that beta glycans may potentiate airway allergic responses and worsen symptoms in patients with existing airway disease. In a clinical trial testing beta glycan use in AIDS, side effects severe enough to be reported to the FDA included anaphylactoid reaction, back pain, leg pain, depression, rigors, fever, chills, granulocytopenia and elevated liver enzymes. There is no evidence that beta glycans "help restore the immune system in people on HAART." I do not recommend this product for treatment of HIV/AIDS.

Re: I love you Dr Bob!
Your logic.