Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

wheatgrass
Jun 28, 2007

hello from the netherlands. question; my bofriend and I both are hiv+ and consume a zip of wheatgrass a day. what do you reckon is is worthwile to drink this. I mean I red about wheatgrass and according to some experts it is one of the most healtiest supplements one can take. Could you tell me what your opinion is and if it boost your t cells??? thanks a lot

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

A "zip of wheatgrass a day???" Well, I'm not sure exactly how much a zip really is, but in this case it really doesn't matter. I'll bet if you search hard enough the "some experts" you mention who claim wheatgrass is "the most 'healtiest' supplements" will have a financial link to the company making or selling these products.

So what's the real scoop on wheatgrass? Wheatgrass is tough, unyielding and not very tasty. Even Cro-Magnon caveman didn't want to eat the stuff, even though it has always been very plentiful. Cud-chewing animals, like cows and other ruminants, need several stomachs just to digest the stuff. But despite this, wheatgrass is now somewhat of a health craze and often added to health drinks and smoothies. Astounding claims are made that wheatgrass will cure diabetes, prevent heart disease, boost the immune system, detoxify the blood and liver, cause wounds to heal, promote weight loss, etc. There is absolutely no scientific evidence to back up any of these claims!

So will a zip of wheatgrass per day harm you? Nope!

Will it boost your T-cells? Nope!!!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thank you Dr. Bob from mom and son
Next
I Just Donated, Plese Answer, 3rd Time Writing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.