Goog news for the newly positive and overwhelmed guy.

Dear Dr. Frascino, I want to share how well I feel on meds. I tested HIV+ in 2005 but I became infected in 2001. I always felt great and I never suspected I could be HIV+. Since discovering I was "viraly enhanced" as you call it, I was willing to start treatment. I finaly started with Sustiva and Truvada even my Dr. considered it unnecesary. My CD4 count was above 500 but I wanted to start and insisted until I came out of my Drs office with a prescription. I thought I wouldnt get it because here in Europe is the Public Health System who manages this infection, but my Dr. respected my decision despite the National Health Systems protocols. I have been on meds for 10 months now. I know it is a very short period of time compared to your ten years on meds. But I am undetectable, my CD4 are above 800 and I feel great, full of energy and very healthy. Hope this helps to anyone who needs it. Hugs from Madrid (Spain).

Hi Madrid Guy,

Thanks for writing in and sharing your personal story. Ultimately, as HIV medications become more user friendly and have fewer side effects (both short- and long-term) and toxicities, I would imagine treatment recommendation guidelines would change such that we begin treating an HIV infection as soon as it is detected. The current recommendation to begin HAART when CD4 counts fall into the 250-350 range is a result of trying to balance the risks of complications with the benefits of therapy, which include preserving our immune integrity.

I'm delighted you are doing well and feeling well. "Goog" news indeed!

Stay well!

Info overload!
Off meds over a year now