Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I need your expertise.
Jun 16, 2007

Hey Doc Bob,

Donation on way, but question. I asked the folks over on medhelp.org and they have recommended me not even get a test. But you seem to be far more knowledgable and I wanted your 2nd opinion. I wanted to know what you thought about my symptoms and getting tested. Here's what I posted over there: "About 5 weeks ago I went back to the hotel with a girl in the philippines. We had protected vaginal sex, unprotected oral (both ways, very briefly cunilingus), and deeper vaginal fingering. protected sex occured twice. A day or two after the incident, I noticed a red rash in the pubic hair region above penis. The rash seemed to spread to a small portion of my scrotum a couple of days later. Came home and was extremely stressed about the rash, work, and car problems. I was getting little sleep and smoking many cigarettes. A week after the incident, I began to develop geographic tongue (still there, much milder 5 weeks after the incident). Without reading much, I had a negative HIV test 2 weeks after the incident. About 2 weeks after the possible exposure, I developed a few ring worm rashes on thigh (had these as a kid, they are subsiding). 4 weeks after incident, developed a intermittent general low to moderate itch all over the body that though has seemed to decline a bit. I think I see tiny red spots randomly around my body (5 to 7), may itch more than other areas. I do not think I ever had a fever, sore throat, though I can feek my neck lymphnodes, they are not painful (can one feel them if they are not swollen?). I do not think I have had any flu like symptoms and do not feel more fatigued than the lack of sleep I am getting thinking about this all the time. Are these symptoms of acute HIV? I cannot wait 6 months to get an opinion, although I will get tested then."

I didn't mention she was a CSW (am still embarrased). I also got a 2nd opinion on the (maybe 6 small) rashes (1 on the inside of my knee, a few on the side of my thigh near butt) and the doctor told me it was nummular exzema. I received an ELISA test about 36 days after incident (shoulda waited to 6 weeks, I know, I was anxious). Came back negative. I also think I've been sneezing a bit more than usual (itching has seemed to stop), although I've never gotten allergies bad. Given my risk, should I test again now? Or wait 13 weeks?"

Exzema has since gone done a bit with hydrocortisone. Most of the people told me there was almost zero chance of me being infected (forget HIV) and I wouldn't need another test. I'm still nervous about this, though. Donation on way, thanks a bunch Doc.

Response from Dr. Frascino

This forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks, particularly those who have concerns related to fatigue and/or anemia. Questions related to HIV transmission, prevention, safer sex, HIV testing and risk should be sent to Dr. Bob at his "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" expert forum. Please resubmit your question there using the same title and add the phrase, "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." Thank you.

Previous
symptomatic diarrhea
Next
Fatigue (Epstein-Barr) and HIV Infection?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.