Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Your take on two herbal supplements
Jun 10, 2007

Hulloos to Dr. Bob from ze Meedvest.

I live in a university town and shirtless season is finally here! Forget the Internet; just walking down the street is enough eye-candy for my, um, fertile autoerotic imagination.

That having been said, I'd like to know your opinion on the efficacy of Milk Thistle as a hepatoprotectant, and on Velvet Bean's efficacy on dopamine enhancement. Second, if they're worth it, what are recommended doses? Or are they just a waste of money? I'm not on any HIV meds, but do take Effexor at a fairly high dose (300); my mood is fine, but motivation/apathy is a lingering problem (hence the dopamine question; venlafaxine is very very weakly dopaminergic and I hate bupropion). I also take testosterone shots biweekly, 200 mg (can't afford the gels), hence the hepatoxicity question.

Now, back to the streets to ogle at the cornfed college boys of ze Meedvest.

Thanks from skinny gay (in all senses) man.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Skinny,

You post a question raving about shirtless collegiate stud-bunnies and you don't attach any photos? What's up with that???

Regarding your herbal supplements, despite the manufacturers' claims we do not have scientific evidence to support these claims. All of these unregulated and untested products carry an FDA warning label that reads: "this product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease." So if the product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, I see no point in taking it. Drug-drug (or drug-supplement) interactions are also a significant concern. Since these products are not regulated, drug-supplement interactions have not been evaluated. My advice would be to skip the milk thistle and velvet bean. Use the extra cash for a gym membership. That's where your shirtless wonders develop their chiseled abs and strapping pectorals. Give it a try and you may soon find yourself being ogled.

Dr. Bob

Previous
counts
Next
Newly positive and overwhelmed

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.