Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Testosterone replacement
Jun 1, 2007

I am an Italian and have been positive for 20 years. After having tried unsuccesfully almost all the available drugs (multi resistant) I am now on a Prezista+Norvir, Fuzeon, Videx, Emtriva and for the very first time my viral load is undetectable. My testosterone (free and total) level have been chronically UNDER the lowe partb of the normal range. My doctors here are not familiar with testosterone replacement. Which could be an appopriate therapy for restoring my normal level? Thanks a lot Giorgio, Roma

Response from Dr. Frascino

Buon giorno Giorgio from Roma!

Comme sta?

Hypogonadism (low testosterone level) is a remarkably common condition for those of us who are "virally enhanced." Replacement therapy is certainly warranted if your free testosterone has been chronically below the normal range and you don't have any contraindicating conditions, such as prostate cancer. Testosterone replacement can be accomplished via intramuscular injections every one to two weeks or by the self-applied daily gels (AndroGel or Testim, for instance). I prefer the daily preparations, as they are more physiologic, i.e. more similar to what the body usually experiences. Besides, shots are inconvenient and they hurt! You can read much more about hypogonadism and testosterone replacement therapy in the archives.

Buona fortuna, Giorgio!

Dr. Bob

Previous
fatigue
Next
when will my fatigue lessen

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.