Thanks, Dr. Bob

Dear Dr. Bob,

This is just a quick note to tell you thank you. Several years ago I wrote to you during my second year of law school when I first tested HIV+. I was in total shock. My partner had been cheating on me and brought home HIV to our supposedly monogomous relationship. I was forced to break up with my partner and deal with HIV all at the same time. Worse yet, I was a "rapid progressor" and needed meds only six months after a clean HIV test had been done.

I came to The Body to learn about my disease. I was crushed both emotionally and physically, and yet I had to learn everything about my disease so that I could fight it. I suffered a lot of side effects from the meds at first, which is why I came to you. I found that I could identify with you, and I trusted you when you answered my question and told me that I was going to be okay. Believing that allowed me to begin to set aside HIV and go back to living my live as me, not as an HIV patient.

Flash forward four years and I'm doing great -- no, better than great. I'm absolutely fine. I've missed exactly two doses of meds in four years, so I think that qualifies me as 99.9% adherent. I take HIV seriously, but it does not define me or rule my life. My viral load has been undectable for 3.5 years and my CD4 count is about 600.

More importantly, I can set aside being sick and focus on being a good lawyer. I volunteer to provide pro bono legal services for AIDS patients who do not have access to the same resources that I have been blessed with. And I have a wonderful "magnetic relationship" with a partner who is truly my match for life.

I want you to know that you make a significant contribution to so many people's lives all around the world. You and I interacted with only a few sentences, but you did for me what no one else could, including my own doctor. You convinced me that everything would be okay and that I should have a normal life span. You restored my ability to hope for the best and forget about the worst. I want to thank you for that.

I know it must be taxing to spend so much time dedicating yourself to this website, so I wanted you to know the type of good that you're doing. Most people that you help disappear to continue with their lives, so I wanted to simply check back in and say thank you for everything that you do. You truly are an amazing person with a kind, giving heart.

All the best,

J. in Seattle

Hello J. in Seattle,

Welcome back to the forum. Your heartwarming story indeed warmed my heart. It's testimonials like yours that do make me realize that the gazillions of words I type into this electrified contraption actually wind up being read and appreciated by folks in need somewhere in cyberspace. To say you just made my day is an understatement! Congratulations on everything, J!

Let's get through this together, OK?

Warmest regards. Be well!

Low sex drive despite testosterone supplement
fatigue disability