Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Tired

I am on a new med,I have had HIV for about 10 years and I am just tired all of the time is this normal? The med Im on is Nevirapine and Combivir I take both twice a day Thanks John

Hello John,

There are many potential reasons for fatigue in the setting of HIV disease. In fact, often there are multiple underlying causes working simultaneously to make us feel wiped out.

Could it be your new meds? Sure, that's possible. Did your fatigue some on or get worse around the time you started the new meds? Almost all HIV meds can be associated with fatigue. In your specific case, you should be evaluated for anemia. One of the common symptoms associated with anemia is fatigue. Anemia can be caused by the AZT component of your Combivir (AZT + 3TC).

There are multiple other potential underlying causes that could also be contributing to your energy drain. These would include inadequate sleep, diet and exercise; psychological conditions such as depression and anxiety; occult infection; hormonal imbalances and even HIV itself. I suggest you review the archives of the Fatigue and Anemia Forum. Make a list of the potential common and not-so-common underlying causes of HIV-associated fatigue and bring this list to your next appointment with your HIV specialist. He'll review these causes in the context of your particular situation and develop a plan to recharge your batteries.

Is it normal to be tired all the time? No, it is not!

Good luck, John.

im i new case?? big donation from arab
Could you have been wrong?