Long recovery from exertion

Hi Dr. Bob,

Most of the time I feel well--normal if you will. T-cells at 500 and undetectable. I take testosterone replacement and last test was 220. Last week I went a few days with 5-6 hours of sleep after working all day and playing in an orchestra until late at night. It seems to have sent my body into a tailspin because since then I have been really tired. I feel like I have low energy and am on the verge of "comming down with something". I've spent the last couple of days in bed and it's not any better.

The last time this happened was when I spent a long day moving furniture and the rest of our household. It took me a couple of weeks to get over that one. So it's not being tired all the time, I'm just not sure what to make of fatigue that should be remedied with a good night's sleep.

Sincerely,

brother joe

Hello Brother Joe,

Your problem does not sound worrisome. I think your plan just to take it easy for a few days is a good one. Having HIV, like having any chronic illness, can take its toll over time. Perhaps you can't "bounce back" quite as quickly as you did in your pre-HIV days. Try not to over-exert. Listen to your body. When you are tired, rest! I know that's easier said than done sometimes, especially if you have Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra or Stravinsky's Rite of Spring to perform!

If you don't recover with an additional period of R & R, check in with your HIV doctor. Perhaps you are indeed "coming down with something" or perhaps you've become anemic.

Good luck, Joe.

my anemia-why & how bad?
Failing anemia treatment. and CMV....What now?