Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv related non hodgkins
Feb 23, 2007

I was diagnosed with AIDSon 2/05/ I had 3 T-Cells and a viral load of 330,000 copies. I began a cocktail of Norvir, Truvada and Reyataz wich put me at an undetectable viral load. However, my T-cells are at their highest of 62. This is somewhat attributed to the fact I was in Chemo. Is this true? How do I get them up.

I was diagnosed two weeks later with PLasmablastic Non_Hodgkins Lymphoma-HIV related. After 4 cycles of EPOCH, Icycle of CHOPE and 2 CHOPS I was declared in remission.

I was told this is the worst Lymphoma you can possibly get and that my chances of a prolonged remission are almost 0. I was also told the risk of relapse is astronomical.

I decided to pursue a transplant. This was denied in Massachusetts since I am in first remission and I was told it was not standard of care.

I know they do stem cell transplants for n High Risk Non-Hodgkins patients. I was approved for transplant at the best transplant center in the country. I was free to choose between autologous or allogenic. I chose an Auto.

Did I chose the right one? Do you think it will be beneficial. I was told by an oncologist in Boston If I proceeded I was shooting myself in the foot.

He says my recovering immune system will take care of any remaining cells. Do you agree?

Will the transplant be as hard on me physically as all that Chemo I received in the past? Should I proceed given the history of this disease?

Thank-You

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Without additional information, including a complete review of your medical history and lab work plus the benefit of a physician examination, I cannot provide you with a specific recommendation, as your case is highly complex and there are a number of important variables that would need to be taken into account. In general, I recommend autologous over allogenic transplants when available. I would suggest you consult with an AIDS oncologist to get a complete second opinion on your options. (If you are in Boston, Bruce Dezube, M.D. at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center would be a good choice.)

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV Testing period
Next
norco

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.