Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

STD(hpv) and the immune system
Feb 14, 2007

dear doc,

i think i have hpv, and i think i caught it by masturbating, cuz after i started masurbating(alone), like a couple days later, these weird warts were on my dick... but you said last time that you cant get hpv from masturbating, so forget about that....

anyways, i wanted to just ask a quick question. i read in many sources that hpv can be "mastered" by the immune system. they said that the immune system can eventually eradicate the virus permanently and make that type of the virus immune to the body. is this true?

also, i read somewhere that the immune system can be a POWERFUL thing and can theoretically block all diseases. This guy also wrote his theory that by strengthening immune system by asdghkjhlkatahhakyhkjay(sorry, it was something like that, it was a long word) and this and that and getting toxic amounts of vitamins and letting the body get used to it and..... etc.. so concludingly, they said that aids can, being a virus, be eradicated. is this true?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

1. Correct. You cannot give yourself an STD! As the saying goes, it takes two to tango.

2. The immune response to HPV is not completely understood. We do know that it involves both arms of the immune system the cell-mediated arm and the humoral (antibody-mediated) arm. If someone has genital warts, I suggest getting them treated!

3. Yes, the immune system is indeed powerful, but it cannot block all diseases. I wish it could, because then I wouldn't be HIV positive.

4. asdghkjhlkatahhakyhkjay and "toxic amounts" of vitamins will not eradicate HIV. If this were true, do you really think I and the other 40,000,000 HIVers worldwide would still be struggling with the challenges of being HIV positive?

Dr. Bob

Previous
no viral load-no risk to infect?
Next
Bush supporter needs some advice

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.