Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Length of treatment
Jan 28, 2007

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with HIV/AIDS when I was hospitalized with PCP. My Dr started me on a Kaleetra/Combivir regimen which I really could not tolerate. She then Started me on Sustiva/Truvada and have been doing well since. Virals down T cells up. I read somewhere that the length of treatment was about 2 years for this combination and I have now passed that. Should I talk with my Dr. about changing my treatment meds? I started having colds all of a sudden the last few months but it doesn't seem to be anything serious and my Dr doesn't seem concerned. What should I do?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You read "somewhere" that the length of treatment for Sustiva/Truvada was about two years???? Where did you read that? Certainly not here! In reality, the length of treatment for any HIV treatment regimen should be for as long as that particular combination continues to work and remains well tolerated. Hopefully that will be many, many years. Talk to your HIV doctor for additional clarification. Also, I suggest you peruse the archives to gain a better understanding of HIV medications and ongoing long term HIV management.

Stay well. With "virals down T cells up" and you tolerating the regimen, I agree you are indeed "doing well." Don't try to fix what isn't even broken!

Dr. Bob

Previous
human parvo
Next
You cant be cavalier... "Homophobic single father"

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.