You're a Hero

Dr. Bob,

I've continued to read this forum after I found out that I was HIV negative from a possible needle laceration. The last post that I read stopped me in my tracks and made my heart sink. It was entitled "No Cure But Death?" where you replied:

"Well, I'm not sure death qualifies as a cure, but it is indeed true that despite the hope and the hype, no one has ever been cured of HIV disease. Presently there are over 43 million folks worldwide, including me, that are HIV positive."

Just today, I read your biography, and I wanted to tell you how sorry I feel that this happened to you, especially while you were trying to help a patient. You're a hero for what you do here, and for your other work. I wish that there were something that we could do to help you. I'll be happy to donate to your foundation. I just wish that we could do something more.

It took over four centuries to develop a cure for syphilis. I wonder if, given HIV's constant mutation, science may be up against the same epic battle to be fought over the coming centuries despite our tremendous advances today--especially since Watson and Crick's discovery.

It seems so unfair, Bob. :(

Do you believe that one day, there *will* be a cure? I don't mean just a vaccine (even if 100% effective), but an outright cure for those who already have HIV? And if we had such a cure, do you think that it would revolutionize medicine as we know it and allow medicine to cure all kinds of other diseases?

If I may, I'd like to ask you one more question. As a very, very smart man, as a scientist, and as a medical doctor, do you believe that there's more to who we are than just this human life? Do you believe in a higher power (from at least one post, I infer that the answer is yes, unless you were speaking metaphorically), or in an afterlife?

Thank you again on behalf of all of us--the worried well and those who are HIV positive--for your courage to keep fighting and helping others.

You truly are a hero, Dr. Bob.

Thank You,

Jeremy

Hello Jeremy,

Thank you for your kind comments. I sometimes forget that not all the readers of the forum realize I am HIV positive. It's old news here in San Francisco, as my personal story has been well publicized on TV, in magazines and newspapers and at many conferences. Please don't feel sorry for me. I certainly don't! In fact, in many ways, I consider myself one of the luckiest people on the planet. You can read additional information about my positive attitude about being positive in the archives section entitled "About Dr. Frascino."

Do I believe we will someday find a cure for AIDS? Yes. Although that day appears still to be a very long way away.

Do I believe in a Higher Power? Yes, I do.

Be well, Jeremy.

When do I tell my lover im HIV+
unprotected anal sex