U drive a hard bargain

I am the nurse, student, son, uncle, friend, patient, lover that was in a terrible HIV accident. Or is not all of us that have been exposed to HIV involved in a terrible accident? I have been spared from the havoc of HIV thus far, this being beyond my comprehension. The PCP, KS, MAC, PML, public humilation, the broken heart from a "jock" saying I date only disease and drug free guys. And I have done this at a big price. I remain lonely, isolated, depressed, withdrawn. I was able to kick off meth. recently. Lonely through being dishonest, lonely through not having the courage to be me. Lonely for being selfcentered. I currently have acqaintances that will not date those that have HIV, and then they tell me, not knowing, I am one that has HIV. Who in God's name would had told me when I was seventeen and first in love with men, that I would deal with a disease given to me by another man, just to be abondoned and rejected by the same men, no one! Its funny how the world goes around. My question, as a graduate student applying for my PhD degree and RN, and son, and friend, and potential lover, what do I do to give back, to help stop this epidemic, somehow? What do I do to ease the intolerance, bigotry, ignorance, confusion. Suggesting to the gentleman whose mom is a nurse to go to school, was a hard bargain. Tell me what to do Dr. Bob. I think I am capable to reach a few, perhaps not willing completely, yes because of fear, but I feel I can make a difference. My dissertation will one day soon be based on this issue. God Bless.

As an HIV-positive health care professional, I would encourage you to consider speaking out to other health care professionals (or students) about being HIV positive. Peer education is highly effective, as we all resonate best with our peers. I would also begin educating your friends the ones whose online profiles are filled with "bug and drug free UB2" and "neg for neg" notices. Most folks don't realize that 25% of the over one million HIV-positive Americans have absolutely no idea they are infected. Your buddies should realize that they should assume all their bedmates could be HIV positive and take the same precautions with everyone.

Finally, I should point out Steve (Dr. Steve in the Tratamientos forum) and I have been in a magnetic relationship for over 13 years. HIV does not have to prevent anyone from having a passionate, loving and sexually fulfilling relationship. Being HIV positive doesn't mean you have to be lonely.

swollen lymph nodes
Telling mom???