K PAX VITAMINES

Dear Doctor, What do you think about K-PAX vitamines? They are expensive and i would like to buy them for my CD4 cells but i do not want to waste my money. Thank you very much and A LOVELY X-MAS from Belgium for you and all your friends. (also a good health of course) Take care. Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the X-MAS wishes! Regarding K-PAX -- and any other pricey vitamins and immune-builders! -- I haven't changed my opinion! See below. Save your money for something that may actually help or for something you would enjoy swallowing more than over-priced vitamins some nice Belgium chocolates or zesty Belgium beer for instance!

Happy Healthy Holidays Patrick!

About K-Pax Apr 9, 2006

Hey Dr.Bob, You are my favorite doctor on this website, I love your sense of humor and positive attitude.I wrote you before, I am the gay guy from New York with 528 t-cell count and 14000 viral load, not on meds, newly diagnosed (3 months ago).I am taking K-Pax twice a day, omega 3-6-9 and B-12 vitamins, with Zoloft for depression. Will these vitamins really keep me healthy for a long time? Will my T-cells increase? I was told, if I use K-pax everyday 8 pills in the morning and 8 in the evening, eat healthy, exercise and not drink or smoke, I will be healthy for a long time and I will not need Hiv meds. A part of me wants to believe it but a part of me also thinks that they are just promoting these vitamins to increase sales. I was also told to get checked for parasites and DHEA and that those would improve my numbers too.What's your opinion about this? What do you think I should do? Thanks in advance.

Hi New York Guy,

Welcome back to the forum.

K-Pax is one of a number of vitamin and micronutrient combinations "promising" to boost or support the immune system and to do lots of other things too, like increase energy levels, improve liver function, prevent lipodystrophy and give you a 14-inch schlong. The most important thing to know about this and many similar products is the key statement written in small print in the advertisements and on the bottles: "this product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease." That statement is absolutely true. Of course if this high-priced stuff doesn't "diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease," then why the hell should you take it??? Excellent question!!!

Will it "keep you healthy for a long time?" No, there is no sound scientific research that supports this claim. Will it "increase T-cells?" No, there is no sound scientific research that supports this claim either. (If there were, I'd be taking it as well!) Will it prevent or delay the need for HIV drugs? No, there is no sound scientific research that supports this claim either. Are these claims a means of promoting sales? BINGO!

As for parasites, if you're not having diarrhea or other symptoms indicative of a parasitic infection, I don't see any reason to test for them.

Regarding DHEA, I'm not sure what's being recommended to you. Do they want you to take DHEA supplements? If so, don't! Rather, you can check your serum testosterone level and if low consider replacement therapy with testosterone supplementation such as AndroGel or Testim.

Are you presently under the care of an HIV specialist? If not, you should be. I'm a bit concerned by the advice you are currently getting. If you need help locating an HIV specialist in your area, try the American Academy of HIV Medicine's Web site, www.aahivm.org. They have a listing of HIV specialists organized by location. If you are right in NYC, you could try Howard Grossman, M.D.

One thing I do agree with is the advice to eat healthy, exercise, not smoke and not drink to excess. I also advise reducing stress levels, following safer sex rituals and voting Democrat.

Stay well, NY-Guy. Let's get through this together. OK?

your office
fear of contacting hiv , pls send me the web address i must send my donation to your foundation.