Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Insanely Confused
Nov 27, 2006

Dear Dr. Frascino: Here's the deal: While traveling for business in Africa in September, I had consistent protected sex with a female sex worker, and then we finished by her performing unprotected oral sex on yours truly. I am married with a young infant, and I have been wracked with guilt over this (for fear if I have HIV I could potentially pass it on to my wife and my baby via breastmilk). It was a one-time encounter, I have been otherwise faithful to my dear wife, and I just hate myself over this. I have also been paranoid that I was more at risk because the locale was Africa, though, as I have read up, I have learned possible co-factors for the increased prevalence of AIDS in AFrica is due to unchecked STDs, and possibly also because circumcision is less common as well--I am both circumcised and recently passed a clean STD scan. In any event, I went and got a HIV test today, just 2 weeks shy of the three-month point. I was told I was negative (woo-hoo!). But that woo-hoo only lasted a couple of hours, because I called the clinic back to double-check that the test also tested for HIV-2 (it does), and I asked if I they were sure I hadn't gotten tested too early. They told me then that the only definitive time-span is 6 months. I thought it was 3 months! Should I be concerned? Was this test invalid? Do I need to worry for another 3 months and two weeks? Did I get tested too early? I can't bear another 3 months (plus 2 weeks) of worrying about this. Thanks for any insight you can provide. Yours, Joseph

Response from Dr. Frascino

This forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks, particularly those who have concerns related to fatigue and/or anemia. Questions related to HIV transmission, prevention, safer sex, HIV testing and risk should be sent to Dr. Bob at his "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" expert forum. Please resubmit your question there using the same title and add the phrase, "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." Thank you.

Previous
MD exposed
Next
Silicone Injections for HIV-Facial Lypoatrophy?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.