The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Constant Headache/Fatigue/Patches/Lumps
Nov 24, 2006

Hi Dr Bob, I was diagnosed at the end of September(06)after landing in the ER with a bout of pneumonia(Sept. 7). I have been treated twice for pneumonia. I have had a constant severe headache for the last 4 weeks(not helped by 6-8 OTC painkillers/day. I wake up and go to sleep with a headache and have frequent fevers. I also have lumps in my testicles, which my doc says he thinks are lymph nodes(the lymph nodes in my groin area are also extremely enlarged). In the last few days round patches have appeared on my testicles and penis - they are dry and scaly and one of them had a red spot in the middle last night. I am extremely fatigued most of the time and have hardly been able to work for the last 2 months. I'm sorry this is long, but I don't think I'm being heard by my doctor - just changed doctors last week(same center), 'coz I learned my initial doc allegedly had issues with MSM. Current doc is "almost" an HIV specialist, but at least I feel more comfortable with him. The headaches and excessive sweating(even when it's 40 degrees) are really affecting my life. I really don't know what to do -HIV specialist clinic maybe?. Please advise

Response from Dr. Frascino


I'm definitely concerned about your health care situation! Why was your HIV diagnosis so delayed? You had multiple bouts of pneumonia and no one even suggested an HIV test? Also, your clinic has an HIV specialist who has "issues with MSM (men who have sex with men)." Hmmm . . . you must live in one of those square red states in the middle of the country that are currently more focused on the "war on Christmas" than the war in Iraq or the battle against the HIV/AIDS pandemic.

An "almost" HIV specialist really is not optimal for someone with significant HIV/AIDS problems like you! Rather than comment specifically on each of your current issues, I'm going to suggest you consult a competent, comprehensive, non-homophobic, compassionate HIV specialist. Call your local AIDS service organizations to get a referral or you could check out the American Academy of HIV Medicine's Web site at They have a directory of certified HIV/AIDS specialists listed by location. Don't delay and don't settle for suboptimal care!

I'm here if you need me, OK?

Dr. Bob

Can lypodystrophy effect penis size?
HIV: Life or Death?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint