Cost of antivirals in developing countires.

Bob,

Just have a quick question about the cost NOW of anti- viral therapy in developing countries.

The reason I ask this question is that I have just come back from a very inspiring talk from somebody working with AIDS sufferers in a high density area of an African city.

I'm interested to know how much it would cost to keep a South African HIV sufferer (for example)on anti-viral therapy for a year.

The reason I am asking this is that I am obviously thinking of an appropriate amount to donate. I know the right answer is as much as you can, but it is always good to know what benefits a particular donation will reap (and then it might be easier to encourage others).

What a wonderful resource this is!

Rog

Hi Rog,

The exact cost varies somewhat from country to country. The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation has found the best price for a first-line regimen of generic antiretroviral drugs in low-income countries is now about $130 a year for adults. That's down from $285 in April 2004. For children it's currently about $200 a year. Second-line regimens, required when drug resistance develops to first-line drugs, may cost $1,500 or more per year.

Thank you for your willingness to help those in desperate need. Your gift is truly a gift of hope.

I am extremely scared!
Using the latrine in the dark