cd4 count

Hello

i was tested hiv+ last month my cd4 count is 5 but am still very strong and don,t feel sick at all. would it be advisable if i started the ARV's? Or what kind of nutrition should i take to bring my cd4 count up concerned patient (Kenya)

Hello Concerned Patient from Kenya,

I agree you have cause for concern! Your CD4 count is dangerously low, which leaves you susceptible to a whole variety of opportunistic infections. Nutrition is not the answer here. You need HAART (highly active antiretroviral therapy) to turn off HIV replication and allow immune reconstitution (rise in CD4 count). In addition you should be started on certain prophylactic medications to help prevent the development of opportunistic infections (PCP, MAC, toxo, etc.). These should be started ASAP. Check out the wealth of information on The Body's homepage under Quick Links. There you will find topics, including "HIV Medications," which will provide you with additional information on the various antiretroviral agents available.

Don't delay! Good luck.

hemogloben
Just saying hello from Dr. K