My odds of contracting HIV?

Heya Dr Bob,

I've been reading the body for a while now and really do appreciate the constant replying you do (dont you ever get a little tired of it all?) =)

I'm a 22 year old heterosexual male from Sydney (but a really horny one). I had a one time exposure with a transvestite prostitute (male). The condom broke and I dont know how long my whole penis was exposed but it wouldn't have been longer than 2 minutes, I mean a sex worked would notice early right? I reapplied a new condom and did not ejaculate.

I asked the sex worker if they had anything and they said no, but of course you really never can be sure about these things.

At 5 weeks post exposure I got a really sore throat (new girlfriend was sick at the time I got it), enlarged lymph nodes under jaw and neck, some red bumps here and there (could count them on one and a half hands), small rashes on hands, perhaps a low grade fever (37.4 armpit temp on a 40 degree day after exercise). It all went away in about two weeks but then I started getting joint aches and nightsweats. You know... the standard stuff all WW's get!

At 5.5 weeks I tested negative (p24 antigen and antibody sandwhich ELISA), at 8 weeks I also tested negative and am now at 10.5 weeks and tempted to test again before the 3 month mark!

How do you rate my risk factor, odds of contracting HIV from such an exposure and would you recommend that I take my 13 weeks results as conclusive?

Also would I have started seroconverting at the time I experienced these symptoms? And if I had started seroconverting at that time would my 8 week test detect sufficient antibodies?

Much appreciated, Your #1 Aussie fan. =)

This forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks, particularly those who have concerns related to fatigue and/or anemia. Questions related to HIV transmission, prevention, safer sex, HIV testing and risk should be sent to Dr. Bob at his "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" expert forum. Please resubmit your question there using the same title and add the phrase, "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." Thank you.

Armpit boil
CURE???????