TESTED NEG FOR HIV & HEP C FOR 6 YRS & STILL CONCERNED

Dear Dr.'s, I am a 47yr. old female who has tested neg for hiv & hep c for 6 yrs. Every yr I have taken the test because my husband who died in April 2005 was coinfected and we used condoms and withdrawal during sex and participated in oral sex during our marriage. He died of an overdose due to his depression & anxiety of having these infections. He was 47 yrs old at the time of his death and it has broken my heart to have watched him suffer and then die. I am now concerned for myself as I am trying to put together the pieces of my life and want to know if the infections can lay dormant and show up years down the road. My last test for both infections was in Aug. 2005 and tested neg. I also tested for hep c again in July 2006 neg. Prior to my husbands death we have not engaged in any sexual activity for 2 yrs due to his drug addiction. I have so much anxiety over this now and want to have a life again. Thank You and God Bless

Your question was addressed to Dr. Pierone who forwarded it to me. Two of us have responded to your question already (see below). There is no need to continually repost your question to other experts in other forums. I urge you to get treatment for your anxiety, rather than become a compulsive reposter. Our assessment and advice will not change, no matter how many times you ask the same question.

Husband hiv + died of overdose wife hiv-

Dear Dr.Frascino,

I am a 47yr old widow My husband died in April 2005 of drug overdose due to his severe depression and anxiety over having hiv & hep c for the past 20 yrs of his life He was a handsome fit & muscular guy. He just couldn't deal with it anymore. I loved him very much despite the infections. We were married for 61/2 yrs. I have been testing for 6 1/2 years and tested nonreactive/neg. We have had sex using condoms sometimes and withdrawal other times and oral sex. Prior to his death we stopped engaging in sexual relations due to his drug addiction and being high most of the time and not being able to function and all the emotional insanity that went along with it. I am trying to put my life together now. I want to know if I still need to be concerned for myself. My last test was in Aug. 2005 and tested neg for both hiv & hep c. My last hepc test was in June 2006 & tested neg. Do I still need to be testing after six yrs. of testing neg? Does hiv & hep c lie dormant for years and show up later? Thank You so much and my prayers got out to all GOOD HEALTH AND GOD BLESS.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's death. Please accept my condolences.

Regarding your health status, testing negative for hep C more than a year after your husband's death is definitive and conclusive. You did not contract hepatitis C.

Regarding HIV, a negative test six months after your last potential sexual exposure would provide a conclusive result.

You report you had a negative HIV test in August 2005 and that your husband died in April 2005. If you did not have unprotected sexual relations with him (including the "withdrawal" method) for six months prior to your August 2005 test, your results would be considered definitive.

Be well. Stay well.

Husband HIV+ Wife - husband died of overdose

Dear Dr.'s, My husband died about 1-1/2 ago due to drug overdose. I was married for about 6 1/2 years He was hiv + and I am negative. He was extremely depressed for many years because he was dealing with hiv & hep c. I loved him very much and tried with all my heart to help him. We stopped having sex about 2 years prior to his death because he was high most of the time. During the time we were having sex we did not use condoms often but he used withdrawal and during oral sex I would not always spit the semen out but swallow it. I have been getting tested for the past 6 yrs. for both hiv & hep c and have tested non-reactive/neg. My last test was Aug. of 2005 & it was neg. My latest hep c test was June 2006 and that was neg. My question is do I still need to be tested for both hiv & hep c after six years of testing neg? I want to go on with my life and I am concerned about having a relationship because of all this. And do you think it is necessary to tell a man I may get seriously involved with about my husband's hiv status since I have been neg for all these years? Thank You for Your Caring Website. God Bless You

Thanks for your post-

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your husband; given the amount of testing and time since your last sexual encounter with him, there's little need to be concerned at this point about HIV or HCV.

It's ok to go on and live life.

BY

article and confusion
Quick and Urgent Please!!!!