Are There Legitmate Supplements That Help Build and Maintain My Immune System?

i realize the FDA does not comment on vitamens and other mineral/herbals supplements. I am newly diagnosed and awaiting Viral load and CD4 count numbers in the next few days. My question is simply are there any supplemeents (vitamens, minerals, herbs that help boost or maintain one's immune system? Of course i'll take whatever meds and whenever my doctor recommends, but I have heard and read that some patients seem to do better when they tale such supplemets as L-Lycene, Echinecea and golden Seal? True? False?

The short answer is that good nutrition is important to immune integrity and health. Basic vitamin/mineral supplementation can be helpful if diet and nutrition are not optimal. As for high-priced and heavily hyped "immune enhancement" secret-formula supplements popular on infomercials and in health food/vitamin shops, no, there is no good scientifically sound evidence that these glitzy potions support, maintain or enhance immunity.

If you want the long answer, check out the information on these sites:

1. http://www.thebody.com/treat/altern.html

2. http://www.sfaf.org/beta/2006_win/nutrition.html

Good luck! I'm here if you need me.

Please Help - 1-Year Test - Am I Done?
Psoriasis