zerit & videx part II

hey doc !

I'm the one asking about the PEP threatment with ONLY zerit and videx and no other drug to which you answered

"In fact, that combination wouldn't even make it on my top 10 list!

"Chances are your Zerit and Videx combo was effective, even though I doubt an HIV specialist would have recommended that particular combination."

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for answering and scaring the sh*t out of me :-)) ( i am so totally going to die :-s was my first reaction when i read this )

anyway... the doctor who prescribed me this is supposed to be a HIV specialist, PEP specialist, doctor at University Hospital which are supposed to be the best in research and everything.

Any slight idea of why she would have "made this mistake"?

this is kind of weird... no ?

could it just be because a lot of lesser fortunate people go to this clinic and they just suppose we cant afford the drugs? ( we get them for free but i wouldnt have minded breaking my piggy bank to buy the third one myself if it would have saved my life )

maybe because i was insertive parnter in the sexual contact so she didnt see the risk as high enough?

i dont know... now that i'm sick the "what if she had given me the RIGHT combo" keeps playing through my head... that and 10.000 other questions... (which of course i wont bother you with :) )

thanks a lot for your time again !

(i won't donate thought cuz i'm just a pooor poooor fella :) but i'm with you in my thoughts :)

Sorry about soiling your tighty-whities, but generally speaking, Videx and Zerit don't play well together, and I avoid combining them unless there are very extenuating circumstances and a compelling reason to do so.

Most current guidelines here in the U.S. no longer list Zerit plus Videx as a recommended combination for PEP. That's not because it doesn't work, but rather because that this combination, compared to other recommended PEP regimens, has more side effects/toxicities, including some fairly nasty ones like pancreatitis, lactic acidosis and hepatitis. Consequently, the combo is definitely not on my top-ten list.

There can be many different "RIGHT" combos for PEP. Some are just more right than others, in my opinion. If you are being followed closely by an HIV specialist, chances are all will turn out OK, even if his/her approach to PEP is different than mine and the current guidelines.

NEVER asked before: General Anaesthesia during HIV seroconversion
I am indeed the first documented case