Anemia and Hiv

My husband was recently diagnosed hiv +, my results came back hiv-. My husbands viral load is 40.000 and his cd4 cells came back at 443. Our family doctor seems to think that the clinic have given him a false positive as he is anemic. Therefore can a person be hiv plus suffer with anemia?

The presence or absence of anemia would not affect the results of HIV-antibody tests, CD4 cell counts or HIV plasma viral load tests. Anemia does not cause false-positive HIV tests. It may be possible there was a technical or clerical error. Certainly your husband should have his HIV-antibody test repeated. If positive, he should also repeat his CD4 cell count and HIV plasma viral load and make an appointment with an HIV/AIDS specialist. If your husband is confirmed to be HIV positive, you will need to have HIV-antibody tests again at three and six months, if you've had unprotected sex with him. You will also need to use latex condoms properly and consistently to protect your negative status.

I wish you both the best of luck.

PEP Fatigue
AIDS without symptoms