The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

non seroconverters?
Aug 12, 2006

Hi Doc,

There are several questions to you and other doctors on this forum about anxious people with symptoms who are worried sick even though they have tested negative. The answers to these questions have been similar, saying if HIV antibody tests have been repeatedly negative there's no chance about he or she being infected with the virus. However, in this website's "inspiring stories" forum there are a couple of people who were actually turned away by doctors when they turned up with symptoms on the basis of their negative antibody tests only for them to land up in hospital much later with cd4 counts of two and four and given an aids diagnosis. This has got me worried because I have oral thrush, hairy leukoplakia, fatigue etc. I have had 17 tests, all negative. so why do I have thrush (I dont have diabetes), very itchy skin, especially nose and back. Now I worry because I have even donated blood.

Regards, John

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello John,

I do not have access to all the details of the cases you describe and therefore cannot comment specifically on them. However, with over a quarter of a century of experience as an HIV specialist and board-certified clinical immunologist, I can tell you with great certainty that if you've had 17 negative HIV tests, HIV is not your problem. No way. No how!

Who diagnosed your oral thrush and oral hairy leukoplakia? You?? I tend to question those diagnoses! See an infectious diseases specialist if you remain concerned. I can tell you categorically you are HIV negative!

Dr. Bob

parvo 19 and swollen hands

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint