What is HTLV III

Dear doc,

I had 6 negative test for HIV screening in last 10 month after the initial exposure the last in the 10 month.

All the neagtive report saya that it does not exclude the possibility of exposure or infection from HTLV-III.What is HTLV and is any separate test required in my case after 6 negative report..

I had donate twice for our organisation and will support you noble cause till my life.

That notice on your lab slip is an outdated terminology for HIV-1. HIV-1 used to have several different names, including:

1. ARV (AIDS-Associated Retrovirus)

2. LAV (Lymphadenopathy-Associated Virus)

3. HTLV-III (Human T-Lymphocytotropic Virus Type III)

Essentially all these names were merged into HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus).

Some laboratory reports will still use the outdated terminology of HTLV-III when reporting HIV-antibody test results.

To make matters even more confusing, there was a report at last year's 12th Annual Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections in Boston that discussed the first human cases of two retroviruses in two people from Cameroon, Africa. These retroviruses have been termed Human T-Lymphotomic Virus Types 3 and 4 (HTLV-3 and HTLV-4). To date, there continues to be no evidence of human-to-human transmission of HTLV-3 or HTLV-4, and the viruses have not been linked to any disease. These viruses are thought to represent cross-species infection, as the two Cameroonians were in frequent contact with monkey meat and HTLV-3 is genetically similar to Simian T-Lymphotomic Virus Type 3.

That's probably way more information than you wanted or needed to know, but I thought I would include it for the sake of completeness.

For your case, six negative HIV tests out to 10 months are definitive and conclusive: You are HIV negative. No additional testing is warranted.

Thank you for your donations!

Be well. Stay well.

The most dire question ever written
CD4 Drop