Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

staynegative.org - What do you think Dr. Bob?
Jul 1, 2006

Hello Doctor Bob, I was wondering if are familiar with the website staynegative.org. After examining it my initial impression was that it's primarily designed to encourage people to practice safer sex guidelines by showing the most unsavory effects of living with HIV and taking medications. I'm certainly all for encouraging this as life with HIV can still be quite challenging for many. On the other hand, the individuals and information represented on this site I feel portray the most extreme of the potential side effects. My concern is for the newly diagnosed who are searching for information and hope online and wind up seeing the horrors depicted on this site. I feel it can be psychologically detrimental and continues to perpetuate the notion that *all* HIV+ individuals will suffer a smilar fate and become seriously ill and disfigured due to medication side effects. This site has been publicized recently on a satellite radio talk show and although I respect and appreciate the message they are trying to spread, how accurate and possibly over amplified do you think the information contained on this site is? It is very disturbing.

Thank You & take care.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The "HIV Not Fabulous" campaign was created by Better World Advertising, which is based right here in San Francisco. The program, which was launched in December of 2005, is funded by a three-year grant from the CDC and underwritten by the Los Angeles County Office of AIDS Programs and Policies. Certainly its primary target is young gay men engaging in risky sexual behavior who are unaware of the consequences of HIV. The campaign is designed to dismiss the perception that living with HIV/AIDS is as simple as popping a pill.

There is no doubt this project generated a response. It got people talking, which, at least on some level, is a good thing. Certainly better than the all too prevalent apathy and indifference we have seen over recent years. It also sparked a backlash from some HIV-positive men who complained the graphic images tended to:

1.) re-enforce stereotypes of HIV positive people and

2.) shame people living with the disease.

There is no doubt our HIV-prevention messages are outdated. Young gay men really don't listen to the "just say no to sex" or "use a condom" messages. I can certainly understand why this campaign is divisive. Certainly it's difficult to stigmatize a disease without stigmatizing those who are living with that disease. It's tool early to tell if the campaign is effective or even resonating with the target audience. If it works, I'll never argue with success. However, I have seen what I would consider better, more balanced prevention campaigns in other countries. I would suggest we consider importing some of those!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Tricky Situation
Next
Is it normal?/ Money Orders Donations?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.