Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Androgel Has Opposite Effect?
Jun 22, 2006

Three months ago, an artery burst in my intestines and I nearly died. I have been anemic (very weak and tired) since then, and have been taking Iron (for 3 months) and Androgel (the last 3 weeks). My last blood work showed that all blood levels were great except for one surprise. After taking Androgel 5 mg for 3 weeks, my testosterone level went down from 290 to 216! How could that possibly happen? Thanks, Ron

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Ron,

Total testosterone levels do vary somewhat from day to day and even within one day. They can also be affected by certain medications and underlying medical problems. I would suggest you have your HIV doctor check your "free testosterone" level. If your value is low for age-matched controls while you are on 5 mg of AndroGel daily, your dose should be increased to 10 mg per day and the level rechecked in 4-6 weeks.

Don't worry, Ron. Boosting your testosterone and hemoglobin levels back into their normal ranges is a snap compared to treating your ruptured aneurysm!

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
lymph tissue damage treatment
Next
Brother

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.