Rapid heart beat

Since I was diagnosed a recent infection, one year ago, I feel my heart beating all the time. Before quiting smoking, I would have near 100bpm in rest. Then I quitted and now I have 80/90 at rest. I never felt this way all my life. I red a lot about heart problems with hiv+ people. I'm 27yo, male, VL 5000, CD4 700, untreated. I keep doing sports and I don't get fully exhausted. (10 minutes at 160bpm). Today I woke up and measured 92bpm. Blood pressure is normal or low every time. Have low cholesterol. Don't know what to do, but I know that there is something wrong with my pulse, and it is there all the time.

Thanks in advance for your help. Mr. Heartbeat

Hello Mr. Heartbeat,

Being aware of one's heartbeat doesn't necessarily mean anything is drastically wrong. That your blood pressure is normal or low and you don't get exhausted playing sports are both good signs. A resting heartbeat of 80-90 in a 27-year-old is mildly elevated.

Certainly you can mention your concerns to your doctor at the time of your next visit, but I tend to doubt you have a significant underlying problem.

Sometimes being diagnosed with a significant illness, like HIV or cancer, can make one more hypervigilant about their health to the point of noticing things about one's body that may well have always been present, but just never appreciated before.

Good luck. Stay well. By the way, I'm glad you gave up smoking. That's the best thing you (or anyone else for that matter) could do to improve your overall health.

Did You Get Any Takers?
Death of My Libido