Converting After One Year

Hi Dr Bob, I am a little concerned over something. I was tested for HIV doing a blood test at 5 months after exposure then again at 7 months, both were negative. However, the person I was with developed a severe flu like illness after a few times of us having unprotected sex. I was with someone else about one month prior to this person which would make my last test negative at 10 months. I realise this is a long time and would pick it up if I had HIV, but I read somewhere that some people cantake upto one year to seroconvert? I mean, is it possible this has happened to me and that's why the second partner came down with the flu? It's funny how they say 6 months is the cutting off period but then they say saome people can seroconvert after one year - everyone's different, so which do you believe?

Charlotte

This forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks, particularly those who have concerns related to fatigue and/or anemia. Questions related to HIV transmission, prevention, safer sex, HIV testing and risk should be sent to Dr. Bob at his "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" expert forum. Please resubmit your question there using the same title and add the phrase, "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." Thank you.

Embarassing Question that no one has dared to ask
Chronic fatigue and infections