do you think i have hiv/aids?

im very concerned about one night when i had anal sex. im a top and i was topping at the time when i had sex. i didnt use any lube,or a condem. just saliva when i inserted my penis into him. i dont know if he has hiv/aids...but what are my chances? im very scared and only a teen, so i dont know what to do...do you think i have it? whats the percent chance i caught the disease if he is hiv positive?..thank you.

Hello Scared Teen,

First and foremost, if you are old enough to have sex, you are old enough to know how to protect yourself from STDs, including HIV.

The estimated per-episode risk of acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive anal sex ("topping") with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 6.5 per 10,000 exposures to an infected source. Your estimated risk would be less, because we don't know the HIV status of your partner.

So, what should you do?

1. Get HIV tested at the three-month mark.

2. Use latex condoms and water-based lube each and every time you have sex to not only prevent STDs, but also to prevent these long periods of uncertainty and worry.

3. Spend some time on this site and related links learning about safer-sex techniques and HIV-transmission risk. This will be time well spent while waiting for your HIV test results.

Finally, do I think you have HIV? I have no way of knowing one way or the other. Statistically the odds are very much in your favor that you did not contract the virus from this one time lapse in judgment; however, the only way to be certain is to get HIV tested.

Being a young adult does not decreased your risk. In fact, half of all new HIV infections in the United States occur in those aged 13-24. That's 20,000 new infections every year or approximately one every hour. I'm not telling you these facts to further frighten you, but rather to assure you know and understand the risks and potential consequences of your actions. I also mention it because sex-education classes in schools, particularly those that teach "abstinence- only" sex-ed., do a shamefully poor job in educating young adults like you to the facts of sex and how to prevent STD's.

That said, I'm also sending you my best good-luck karma that your definitive three-month test will be negative.

Good luck. Don't be a "scared teen." Rather, be an informed and safe one, OK? Please also share what you have learned from this experience with all your friends and family!

Salut Dr. BOBBB!!!!
Protected Oral Sex (with a slight twist)