Frontline AIDS Special

Dr. Bob I should stop emailing you on this site so much...having said that, I keep seeing things and thinking of you...

I watched the recent Frontline special on 25 years of AIDS...pretty interesting. Seemingly, almost a documentary version of "And The Band Played On."

Very informative and seems like a very fact based/scientific communicator of information regarding HIV/AIDS. Which everyone (particularly the paranoid folks like me) on this board would benefit from watching...potentially, instead of worrying about percieved risks and whether or not to get tested...we all could focus on what it will take to beat this killer.

You can watch the entire special at the following link

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/aids/

Anyway, again let me express my gratitude to opening my eyes to the threat this disease poses to the planet...and the support that is needed to stop its spread and find a cure!

Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

You are becoming so knowledgeable about HIV/AIDS. Rather than emailing me so often, I think you should join the panel of HIV experts here and start answering questions. I have several thousand backed up at the moment, so you can start with those, OK?

I was very impressed with the Frontline special. I think it should be required viewing for well, for everyone! I was actually present at many of the historical scenes in the documentary. I was a post-doctoral fellow in immunology from 1980-82 at University of California San Francisco Medical Center. I remember being consulted on those very first patients admitted, because their immune systems were shot and no one knew why. I was also at the San Francisco meeting when the decision was made to close the bathhouses. And I've attended my fair share of ACT-UP demonstrations. Most of the physicians featured in the film are friends and/or colleagues of mine. I'm very pleased this piece of history is being well documented Reagan's apathy, Jesse Helms's meanspirited legislation, the fact that Gallo tried to steal credit from the French for discovering the virus, Margaret Heckler's mismanagement and continual denial of the facts . . . all of it!

Stay well, Jeremy.

Thanks Dr Bob from Africa
worried