Your response to "Jake"

Dear Dr. Bob,

I have been positive for three years and have continuously used your site as a source of information and support. Thanks for a great resource!

I do, however, take umbrage at your response to Jake's recent post in which you deride "catholic Republicans" and in which you seem to paint all of them with a rather broad brush.

My family is very Catholic and very Republican, though perhaps closer to Chafee than Santorum. They were, and continue to be, very supportive both when I came out and when I told them I was infected with HIV. I am a doctoral student with, as I'm sure you can imagine, less than adequate insurance. Every time I've needed help they've stepped up to the plate. And their support certainly has gone beyond the financial realm.

I consider myself a moderate and do not hold strict allegiance to either party. I would hope you realize that people from various backgrounds, including Catholic Replubicans, find this site, and your posts in particular, to be quite helpful. Some may use this site as their sole resource for dealing with HIV. I would also hope that as a presumably tolerant and understanding person you would, in the future, refrain from making unconstructive and unjustified remarks that paint an entire group of Americans in a rather bad light based on the action of one person.

regards,

Doug

Hi Doug,

No personal offense intended. However, my comments are not "based on the action of one person." I think it's fair to say that the response of Republicans and Catholics (and rightwing religious zealots of any other flavor as well) to HIV/AIDS and homosexuality has been . . . how shall I put this? . . . um, less than enlightened or helpful. Pat Buchanan summed up the new Reagan conservatives' view by saying "the poor homosexuals they have declared war against nature, and now nature is exacting an awful retribution." And the Catholic Church refers to me as "an abomination" and states that the use of condoms is a sin.

Sorry, Doug, my tolerance and understanding for this type of hate and lack of common sense and moral decency has run out. The AIDS pandemic has now been with us for 25 years. With one life being snuffed out every 10 seconds of every minute of every hour of every day and 14,000 people contracting the virus each and every day, I cannot in good conscience tolerate the "Republican" or "Catholic" perspective on HIV prevention or homosexuality.

I'm delighted your "very Catholic and very Republican" parents are supportive. Unfortunately most are not.

Take umbrage if you must Doug, but like it or not, in far too many ways "Republicans" and "Catholics" continue to fan the flames of the AIDS pandemic. And that, to me, is a sin.

Feeling depressed all the time from HIV thoughts
How Fabulous Are You?