Worried Father

Dear Bob, This isn't a question. I just want to issue a "Bravo!" in your direction for your excellently phrased response to the "Worried Father". I live in the UK, am gay, a bit older than you, my partner's a Clinical Scientist, and I am an actor and, like you, a pianist. And like you too, I try to live according to those exemplary words of Shaw. Best Wishes, "BrokenWingedBird", Body Connect Forum.

Hello Worried Father,

You just found out your 19-year-old son has AIDS and your first inclination is to throw him out of the house???? WOW. Apparently your moniker, "Worried Father," applies to being worried about everyone (including yourself), but not your son!!! Shame on you, sir.

Is your gay HIV-positive son a danger to you, your wife or your other children? No. HIV is not transmitted by casual contact. No way. No how.

Perhaps the reason your son has been acting strangely is because he has HIV/AIDS and has tragically felt the need to hide this information from you and the rest of his family. Of course, now that I see what your initial reaction is, I understand his desire to keep his diagnosis secret.

I suggest you, your wife and your son sit down and discuss the situation rationally. Family counseling may be very beneficial. Go with your son to his HIV/AIDS specialist physician visits and talk with his doctor. Get involved with your son's life and help support him through this crisis. Turning your back on him now and throwing him out of the house would be both cruel and immoral.

Thanks for your support!

Hmmm . . . a UK gay actor pianist who appreciates Shaw? Ian? Ian McKellen, is that you? (Loved you in Gods and Monsters. Can't wait to see you in the Da Vinci Code and next X-Men sequel.)

Stay well!

Living with HIV
filling in blanks