undetectable Platelets!

my brother has AIDS and he is asking me for advise because I am a nurse-but this is a topic I am not too familiar with.--He wants to stop his meds because his platelet count was undetectable-(he is in prison)-he looks very healthy--but I believe he is in his final stage of AIDS--his cd4 count is 154--viral load under 50 an dhis liver ALT is 63--his doctor told him that it's probably the meds causing the thrombocytopenia but his nurse tells him not to stop the medications--I agree with her-because isn't thrombocytopenia a possible complication due to the late stage of the disease? please help I don't know what advise to give.

First off, "undetectable" platelets would not be compatible with life. Perhaps they were just "low"?

With a CD4 count of 154 and viral load of less than 50, I do not believe your brother is in "the final stages of AIDS." Without knowing much more about his case, current medications and laboratory studies, I really can't make specific recommendations. I would suggest you contact his physician (hopefully an AIDS specialist) and discuss the particulars of his case, including his treatment options.

Sorry, I wish I could be of greater help.

Still depressd and tired
Condom Broke