Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

A Few Questions From Someone New to HIV testing
May 2, 2006

Dr. Bob please answer my questions, I'm going nuts! It has been 5 months since I engaged in sexual activity back in late November of 2005 (the 18th to be exact). I performed oral sex on a man and did not have cum in my mouth (a small amount of precum did come into contact with my tongue). Before that time and after that time, I have engaged in NO sexual activity at all. I recently had an HIV test done (04/13/06) just to make myself feel better (like I said, I've been going nuts), and it came back negative (results were reported at the lab on 04/18/06 exactly 5 months from the time I last engaged in sexual activity and given to me on 04/27/06). The HIV results I was given say; Laboratory Interpretation: Negative. EIA: Negative. The WB is marked N/A and all viral load and other areas are left blank. My questions are these: 1. When I went in to be tested I was taking 500 milligrams twice a day of erythromycin antibiotic for an infection in my abscessed tooth. I told the councilor at the testing site that I had been taking this antibiotic, and she did not seem to think this was a big deal. Is it? Could taking an antibiotic confuse or otherwise distort an HIV test? 2. Also, considering the amount of time passed since I last engaged in sexual activity, do you think the results are likely accurate? 3. And lastly, could I have symptoms of HIV and at the same time have an HIV negative test result? I know I have asked a lot of questions and given a lot of information, but I have been a bit of a hypochondriac since engaging in my first and final sexual encounter with someone who I met casually and did not know. So any answers you can provide me with would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your time.

Response from Dr. Frascino

This forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks, particularly those who have concerns related to fatigue and/or anemia. Questions related to HIV transmission, prevention, safer sex, HIV testing and risk should be sent to Dr. Bob at his "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" expert forum. Please resubmit your question there using the same title and add the phrase, "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." Thank you.

Previous
Safer Sex Question
Next
All the way with Stripper (twice)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.