Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

weight gain
Apr 28, 2006

hello Dr. Frasino, i have a question that really needs an answer, no one seems to know anything. I was diagnosed with hiv/aids in April of 2004 with a viral load over 400million copies and cd4 count of 2. i was really sick and was imediately put on meds.i weight went from 180 to 98 pounds within a mounth. I was almost dead the doctors said. my body was shutting down. Now it is 2006 i am undetectable, but my cd4 count will not get over 192. i have gained so much weight, now at a whopping 220. HELP... i am 5"3 and just turned 49 and i am suppose to weigh about 140 to 160. Although my husband is negative, he tries his best to help me. I got this disease from a surgery i had in 2003. Sad isn't it..How can i loose some of this weight? and How long will i live with this disease? I do not want to die. My doctors have changed my meds many times to get me undectable and finally found a combination that works, which i have been on for about a year now, Sustive and Truvada. I eat like there is no tomorrow, because i do not know if i will wake up the next day. The doctors finally took me off of all the antibiotics thinking that maybe the source, but i just keep gaining weight. Do you have an answer that may help me. By the way, i love your colum. You really get to the point.. Thanks for any help you may have. Kathy in Florida

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Kathy,

Several things in your history sound highly improbable. Contracting HIV form a surgery in 2003? And if you did become infected in 2003, it would be extremely unlikely your CD4 count would be 2 one year later. Also, viral load tests don't measure up to 400 million. But I'm not here to question improbabilities, so I'll turn to your question, which concerns your rather remarkable weight gain from 98 to 220 pounds. If your physicians have found no medical cause for your nearly tripling in size, I would have to conclude you identified the cause of your rather remarkable expansion when you wrote, "I eat like there is no tomorrow, because I do not know if I will wake up the next day." So if any or all of this rather unbelievable story is true, I'd suggest you step away from the Krispy Kremes and In-N-Out Burgers and go see an HIV-knowledgeable nutritionist who can help teach you how to eat like there is indeed a tomorrow.

Dr. Bob

Previous
mumps? I love you Dr. Bob!
Next
Fatigue

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.