Thanks, and have you considered?

This question and comment relate to your response to the question: "My Mother, a Public Restroom, Unwashed Hands and a Sandwich"

I agree with your likely belief that that the subject of HIV need not be treated solemnly and that lightness can be valuable.

I observe in your humor what I consider to be demeaning approach.

Assuming that the writers are serious in their queries, the need to be sarcastic in responding to their questions and loampponing their lack of sophistication seems counterproductive. Such responses will likely be hurtful to them considering that they have openly exposed themselves to you and your readers on issues that they may well consider to be deeply personal and sensitive. As well, were I a reader in such a sensitive position, (I am not, I am a health care professional) I would be dissuaded from asking a question after reading the responses that other have received.

It is possible to be humorous without using ad hominem, hurtful material in your routine. Give them a break and, consider yourself.

Thanks and best wishes to you.

Marin

Hello Marin,

"Assuming that the writers are serious" is, for one thing, a large assumption. The Mommie Dearest-Unwashed Hands-Public Restroom-Sandwich question is a good example.

If by "loampponing" (whatever the hell that is) their irrational fears, I could dissuade some of these types of questions from clogging up my inbox, I would be quite happy. Please note all questions are posted anonymously even yours. So no one will know you don't know how to spell "lampooning" or that you have such a piss-poor sense of humor. My responses are certainly not meant to be hurtful, and I don't believe they are. The purpose of this forum is to educate folks about HIV/AIDS. I am not the world's personal cyber-shrink. If you want deeply personal and sensitive responses to people who are clearly loony-tunes, then watch Dr. Phil. We have more weighty concerns to deal with here, OK? So rather than my giving them a break, how about your giving me a break. I've cohabitated with this virus since January 1991 and dedicated a large portion of my personal and professional life to helping others and promoting HIV/AIDS awareness and education, including raising more than one million dollars for AIDS service organizations around the world to provide crucial services for men, women and children struggling with the challenges of having AIDS. So, "have I considered?" Yes, I have. So lighten up, OK?

And remember Paul Rudnick's comment, "Only money, rage and science can conquer AIDS. But only laughter can make the nightmare bearable."

Kaletra
Problem pot?