Can I be a doctor with HIV?

Dr. Bob,

Im referring this question to you because I know that you are a Doctor that is currently living with HIV. I am a 32 year old male diagnosed 2 years ago and prior to my diagnosis I had hopes and dreams of one day going to medical school. I am still working on my BS but do you think that it is worth it for me to attend medical school? Currently I am not on any medications because my numbers are really good but that may not be the case in the future and I know about how stressful life can be in medical school, internship and residency. I wouldnt mind specializing in infectious disease since I would have a first hand knowledge of the subject. I guess that Im scared that by the time my dreams roll around, I may not be here to reap the benefits. What do you think?

Future MD

Hi Future MD,

There is no reason that being HIV positive should prevent anyone from realizing any of their dreams.

I will mention, however, that if you are planning to become a physician to "reap the benefits," you might want to rethink your career goals, as that is not what this profession is all about.

Stay well.

Intervention - when/how?
pcr rna at 899 copies