Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I be a doctor with HIV?
Apr 10, 2006

Dr. Bob,

Im referring this question to you because I know that you are a Doctor that is currently living with HIV. I am a 32 year old male diagnosed 2 years ago and prior to my diagnosis I had hopes and dreams of one day going to medical school. I am still working on my BS but do you think that it is worth it for me to attend medical school? Currently I am not on any medications because my numbers are really good but that may not be the case in the future and I know about how stressful life can be in medical school, internship and residency. I wouldnt mind specializing in infectious disease since I would have a first hand knowledge of the subject. I guess that Im scared that by the time my dreams roll around, I may not be here to reap the benefits. What do you think?

Future MD

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Future MD,

There is no reason that being HIV positive should prevent anyone from realizing any of their dreams.

I will mention, however, that if you are planning to become a physician to "reap the benefits," you might want to rethink your career goals, as that is not what this profession is all about.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Intervention - when/how?
Next
pcr rna at 899 copies

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.