Intervention - when/how?

Dear Dr Bob,

Hi - I wrote to u before - am concerned friend from NY. Thanks so much for your advice. You really made a difference: I told her about the site and showed her your response. She has since switched docs/regimens (now on viramune and combivir), also PCP prophylaxis (TMP/SMX). CD4 has gone up a bit to 195, VL dropped to 260000, but she's still quite clearly suffering with fatigue:

Having read most of the stuff on this site, I think it might be an allergy to the sulfa drug - has a fever and can't keep food down, which prob won't help fatigue? I told her my concern, but she says she can live with it - doesn't want to "bother" her doctor, and thinks "it could be worse." Should i intervene? If so, at what point? How?

Thanks for helping: we love you and your forum!

Concerned friend, NY

I'm glad your friend has switched docs and regimens.

Her concerns about "bothering" her doctor and statements, like "it could be worse," appear to be more of the denial behavior she previously demonstrated. I don't think you should be trying to diagnose her problem (sulfa drug allergy, etc.). I would suggest you review with her some of the information readily available on this site pertaining to medications, symptoms, interacting with your HIV specialist, etc. You could also offer to go with her to her next visit to her HIV specialist. Encourage her to make a list of concerns and problems and bring it with her to discuss with her specialist.

Hope that helps.

6 Months & 10 Months
Can I be a doctor with HIV?