Am I being crazy?

Doctor Bob, I dont know if you remember me but I am the guy who made a stupid comment like "Dr.Bob, you know I'm infected", even though you had no idea about my status and made a bet against you that I'm negative. (in other words I betted "money" that I'm hiv pos). I pasted the old letter at the bottom just in case you need help recalling.

Anyway, I finally got a courage to get tested after a stressful 1 year and a half. I took the rapid test at a clinic, and was told I'm negative. However, I am having trouble swallowing this great news.

1. I feel they are lying to me, not for a bad reason but because prior to getting tested, I broke down front of the clinic guy who tested me and in turn, he felt bad about telling me the truth. After the test, I even questioned him "you are not lying right" and he responded "why would I lie to you?" He even showed me the result. Just one red line next to "C" (or was it "T"? dont remember). But I'm 100% sure it was only one line and not two lines. Is he correct in saying that I'm negative?

2. Another person got tested right before me. Maybe his result got mixed up with mine? (the guy came out pretty happy so i assume he was negative too. But who knows)

3. The person who got tested right before me took less time than I did to get his result. My result took longer to show so I may be positive? Does time horizon matter?

4. Would the clinic ever lie to me about the test result? I even tried to scare him, saying I'm going have unprotected sex with my girlfriend and have babies...it would be his fault if i spread the virus. He kindly responded "yes. of course"

Dr.Bob, please do not hate me for doubting medical practice/practitioner and asking questions that may sound ridiculous. It's just my personality...I have hard time swallowing good news. Only Your "approved stamp" will put me into peace, and then, I can finally claim myself as the loser of this bet.

Can I woo hoo? Do I need to get retested based on the above questions? Can I trust the clinic's words that I am indeed negative? Did I really lose this bet?

Doctor thank you for helping me. If I'm being irrational, I'm sorry. I am really trying to change myself so that I can be just like you, a man of confidence and heroism.

Please write me back.

God bless you, worried,worried,andstillworried

---------------------- No cases where hiv transmitted through deep kissing, fingering, or receiving fellatio? Well Dr.Bob, you can put me down as the first victim of this case. Engaged in those activities 7 weeks ago. Experienced the following symptoms:

After a week to 10 days of exposure- 2-mins hot flashes that occurs mostly at night around 7-10pm but no night sweats and had it for 2-3 weeks. Nausea for 3 days but got really drunk 3 times within 5 days of that week. My fear and anxiety over HIV began to develop. Minor depression. Minor loss in appetite.

2nd/3rd Week Minor sore throat. Once or twice every week, these small, yellow, smelly, cauliflower-shaped (tonsil stones?) stuff comes out from my throat. I still experience this even to this date. Went to doctor but nothing wrong with my tonsils. Constipation but eventually goes away. Minor, intermittent tingling sensation on my arms that lasts for a minute each time it occurs. Had it for 3 weeks.

4th week Lost 9 pounds in 4 weeks. Too much weight loss for a minor loss in appetite. Extreme anxiety/fear. Began seeing a psychologist/counselor. Felt better.

5th week- Somewhat painful neck glands. Only lasted for 3 days. Minor, intermittent but somewhat frequent, tingling sensation on stomach, ears, back of my neck, right below my ears (where the glands are), and groin. Each tingling only lasts for couple minutes and goes away. I still have them to this date. I dont think my glands are swollen though. Going to see a doctor tomorrow to get reassurance on the nodes. Constipation again but is gradually going away. My anxiety/fear/depression level is lower but still often concerned about HIV. Get little depressed at night.

6th-7th week Major increase in appetite. Feels like I'm always hungry these days.

Symptoms do not indicate HIV? Come on Dr. Bob. I've never experienced these series of symptoms in my life before. My anxiety/fear/depression has gotten better over the past few weeks but still experiencing symptoms. You know I'm infected. Ill bet you that I am. I'm hopeless but at least I'm going to become famous for being the first victim of this case...

I "know" you're infected??? What the hell are you talking about?

You want to "bet" me that you're infected? OK, you're on! The odds are astronomically in my favor. Statistically you are going to lose this bet. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Continue treatment for your anxiety, depression, and irrational fears. That's where your real problems lie.

You are going to feel so wonderful (and remarkably silly) when you get your negative HIV test results. Don't forget to write back so we can say, "We told you so!"

Sorry pal, you'll have to look somewhere else for your 15 minutes of fame.

Hello Worried, Worried and Still Worried,

I was just thinking about sending "Uncle Vito and his violin case" out to collect on that bet! If he shows up, you'll not only have trouble swallowing, you may have difficulty walking as well!

Now, Dude, I know lots of folks don't like to "swallow," but usually great news goes down quite easily.

First your questions:

1. He is correct. You are negative.

2. No, your test results did not get mixed up.

3. No, "time horizon" does not matter.

4. No, the clinic would not lie about the results. Be reasonable, Dude! Who do you think ran your test? Karl Rove?

5. Can you WOO-HOO? Yes, of course.

6. Do you need to get retested? No, of course not.

7. Can you trust the clinic's words? Absofrickinlutely!

8. Did you lose the bet? Dude, what do you think that big "L" on your forehead is there for?

Yes, you are being irrational, but no apology is needed. We're used to anxious wrecks around here. I do hope you are continuing with your treatment for anxiety, depression and irrational fears, as it seems there is still work to be done in this area.

Now start "swallowing," or Uncle Vito will come over and shove the good news into your esophagus!

Congratulations on your great news!

"We told ya so!" (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

"Just " Rickettsia ....or could I be that unlucky?
ouch