When to take Procrit?

Hi, I'm a 50-year-old HIV+ (24 years) female with often debilitating fatigue. (CD4 130; VL 400). My hematocrit tends to be between 29 and 32; hemoglobin never above 10.n; occasionally 9.n. I take iron daily. My doctor told me that she doesn't consider me to be very anemic and doesn't believe Procrit would help my fatigue. I've been finding plenty of info on this site indicating that Procrit can indeed be helpful to people with moderate anemia. Why would it hurt to just try the Procrit? Is there something I'm missing here? Thanks, Sally

Hi Sally,

Yeah, I think the thing you are missing is a more reasonable doctor! Anemia in the setting of HIV disease can be caused by many factors, including nutritional deficiencies (iron, vitamin B12, folate), opportunistic infections (MAC, TB, CMV, parvovirus B19, etc.), medications (ganciclovir, dapsone, pyrimethamine, interferon, cancer chemotherapy, etc.), blood loss and even HIV itself (anemia of chronic disease). Your HIV specialist should evaluate all the potential causes of your anemia and specifically treat the underlying causes. Procrit has been shown to be remarkably effective for the treatment of certain types of HIV-associated anemia, particularly AZT-induced anemia and anemia of chronic disease (caused by HIV itself). I'm a strong advocate for aggressive treatment of anemia (even mild to moderate anemia), because correction of anemia is associated with enhanced quality of life, increased energy and even improved survival! Sally, perhaps you should consider getting a second opinion to evaluate your HIV-associated fatigue and the possibility of using Procrit for treatment for your HIV-associated anemia. Additional information about HIV-associated fatigue, treatment of HIV-associated anemia and use of Procrit can be found in the archives of this forum. Check it out!

Good luck, Sally!

thanks Dr Bob
Natural supplement to ease fatigue?