barebacking

Dr. Francino:

Your reponse to the question regarding pos-pos couples and co-infection brings up a topic that relates to a tremendous number of us... that of barebacking. No matter how much you or the medical community wishes all HIV+ sex were protected sex, the truth of the matter is, a greaaaaaat deal of sex out there is not! Popular right now, of course, is barebacking. The theory is, if I have unprotected sex and he doesn't cum in me, my risk is next to nil. Now, this comes down to what we know and what we don't know. I'm speaking of medical science, of course. I doubt there have been many studies on barebacking to date. So, those of us out here playing risky pool have to come to our own conclusions at this time. And the bar we set for ourselves is our own personal one. Question: where exactly is the risk in unprotected sex? We know the virus is in semen. Has it ever been documented to your knowledge to be in precum? Not anti-bodies, but the actual virus. Has the virus ever been documented to be in rectal secretions? I'm not referring to blood from cuts. I'm referring to a normal, healthy cut-free rectal cavity, if that exists. And, please comment on the known documentation relating to second strain infections. Last... more a theoretical question for you... if you have unprotected sex with an HIV+ partner, is it at all possible to assume you might pick up his anti-bodies and incorporate them into your own system, thereby helping to protect you in the future from his particular strain? Just wondering what your take on that might be. Thanks. Your forum is very informative.

Let me try to address briefly the specific questions you raise. All of this information is in the archives and I suggest you look there if you need greater detail about any of these issues.

1. Pre-cum. Yes, HIV has been well documented in pre-cum. (Yes, the actual virus, not just antibodies!) I'll reprint a post from the archives below.

2. Rectal secretions. Yes, HIV has been documented in rectal secretions. According to several studies, levels of HIV in rectal secretions can be much higher than the level found in blood or semen.

3. Regarding dual HIV infections, there are two types coinfection and reinfection. For the latest information on this topic, I suggest you read the article in the most recent issue of BETA. It can be accessed online at http://www.thebody.com/sfaf/pdfs/winter06.pdf. The article begins on page 36.

4. HIV antibodies. No. A person cannot pick up another person's anti-HIV antibodies by having unprotected sex.

Stay safe. Stay well. Stay informed.

can pre cum transmit? yes or no Oct 5, 2003

Hi Dr BOB,

Is pre-cum enough to transmit the HIV virus? I thought it must be seaman.

Curious...

Hello Curious,

HIV has been isolated from pre-cum; therefore, there is a theoretical risk it could transmit HIV.

As for thinking it "must be seaman," oh no deary, sure you can catch it from sailors, but you also have to watch out for butchers, bakers, and candlestick makers, as well as movie stars, sport stars, and repressed puritanical politicians.

questions about my semen etc Jul 21, 2004

okay i have been masturbating for years now, however I am not shure if i am actually cumming, Some stuff cums out but its not like in the porn vids its more clear but alot of it cums out and it "shoots " out, is this cum or the prelube? It feels good, but if this is what sex is supposed to be, Ima find another hobby, thnx. i know its not about STD's but i cant find anywhere else to post it.

OK, let me get this straight. You're not "shure" if what shoots out when you masturbate is cum or "prelube?" And second, you state that if this is what sex is supposed to be, you want to find another hobby. Does that about sum it up? First off, John Ashcroft might this be you writing in to the forum once again trying to learn about sex??? If it is, let's face facts John boy, you are just not of porn star quality. You're a loser. (After all, just remember: the last election you were in --Missouri's 2000 senatorial race-- you lost to a dead guy.)

Now on to your question: Is masturbation sex? Well, I guess it depends who you ask and how you define sex. If you ask the Catholic Church, yep, all autoeroticism is a mortal sin, so they would call it sex. If you are wanking on your willy with a buddy or two (or perhaps a whole room full of buddies), you might indeed call this sex, especially if your buddy gives you a hand (so to speak). If it's just you and the "porn vids," well . . . it's probably open to discussion.

Is it a hobby? Hmmmm, I've never really thought of it in those terms. The Boy Scouts don't offer a merit badge for excellence in choking your chicken, and it may not be listed in the Reader's Digest, "101 Favorite Hobbies." However, no one can doubt it's a ubiquitous and uniquely pleasurable pastime.

"Prelube?" I assume you mean pre-cum, right? Well, pre-cum usually doesn't shoot as much as dribble.

Since this is an HIV safe sex/prevention forum, I won't go into further detail here. Check online or at your local library for a copy of The Joy of Sex (or Joy of Gay Sex) or any of a gazillion other sex 101-type books. It appears you have much to learn.

Waking up from a nap
Sustiva