Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV / Picking your nose?
Mar 7, 2006

Hi bob, a few quick question. Met with a sex worker and she gave me a long protected blow job (I could feel her teeth once in a while, hopefully the condom was still intact, she didn't bite) and then I had very brief protected sex with the same condom (very brief, it was like for 15 seconds). The condom I used was Trojan Latex Very Sensitive Lubricated (is this a good one? It expires in 2010 and it says it's America's #1). I touched her vagina and anus and got some fluids on my hand. As I was walking home, I picked my nose (nose being a mucus membrane, is it possible to catch HIV from this, even though it was some 15 minutes after I left the place?) Am I at risk for any of the activities above? I tend to be extremely monogamous, so the fact that I had this incident is causing some concern that I should get tested, even though I tried to remain as "safe" as possible here. Any risk of transmission from the oral protected, vaginal protected and the unprotected nose picking as I was walking home? (I've never seen a nose picking question here, so I don't know what the risk is). So do I need a test or is my risk "essentially non-existant"? Thanks, and a donation is on it's way!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You've never seen a nose-picking question here before? Hmmm . . . actually there have been quite a few. It's a nasty, but quite common habit. Just take a look at the guys on either side of you next time you're stuck in traffic, and I'll bet you'll spot a nasal excavator within moments!

I'll repost a question from the archives that not only addresses the HIV risk of nose picking but that also contains the other exact elements of your story protected blowjob, vaginal fluids, etc. (Note to readers see I told you the archives contain everything!!! Dr. Bob says check it out!!)

As for your specific HIV risk, I'd say "essentially nonexistent" sums things up quite accurately.

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Blowjob and nosepick Dec 19, 2003

Hi Dr. Bob,

I hope you enjoyed yur time in Paris! :) After answering all these questions, you deserve a break.

I had a protected oral blowjob from a prostitute and I masturbated her. A short time later she went into the bathroom and like an idoit, I picked my nose to clear the airways.

My concern is this, I need to know what my risk was since I may have had some vaginal fluid on my finger when I went for the pick and since that fluid may have been exposed to blood I, like a moron may have exposed myself to HIV.

What do you think?

"the picker"

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Picker,

You pick your nose "to clear the airways?" I'm almost afraid to ask what happens when you feel constipated.

OK, so first off, let me tell you about a new invention called the "Kleenex." Using it you can give yourself your very own "blow job" and clear your stuffed snozolla.

Risk of HIV from your "adventures in excavating" ?? Essentially nil. HIV is not transmitted this way. So "what do I think?" in a word, "Fuhgetaboutit!" but don't forget about the Kleenex, OK?

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Premed student home access test?? Trying to ease my mind!!
Next
Second Donation Given-Please Please Reply

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.