Hemoglobin dropping fast

My husband just diagnosed with HIV disease(probably got it 10 yrs ago). His Hemoglobin was low but has been dropping since stopping Flucytosine, Amphoterecin B, and started Bactrim. He is also on azithromyacin, and fluconazole as he could not tolerate ampho (amphoterrible). I have him on MVI, Iron. He was b12 def. but I've been giving him b12 shots and lots of iron, his stools are dark and my questions could it be medication induced or is it advanced disease. It is at 7.4 and we are thinking blood transfusion today. Very scared.

Hello Very Scared,

Unfortunately your husband's case is far too complex for me to comment on with such limited information. There is no doubt that anemia in the setting of advanced HIV disease can be multifactorial. It can be caused by HIV itself (anemia of chronic disease), opportunistic infections or malignancies, medication side effects and toxicities, blood loss and a host of other conditions. I suggest you discuss your husband's anemia problem with his HIV specialist. He may well require more than one therapeutic intervention to normalize and stabilize his hemoglobin.

Good luck to you both!

Thank you
Words of Thanks