reply to "false positive (pregnant)"

Dear Dr. Bob,

you have answered my question on Jan 26, 2006 under title "false positive (pregnant)"

Immediately after I was given results I wrote to you about, I insisted on PCR... At first I strongly believed that I had false positive results due to my multiple pregnancy. Later I red more about which antibodies are present in the blood of HIV + person, compared them with the Westernblot results I was given, and lost hope. Dr. were telling me that HIV positive results are given to a patient only after they are checked few times!!! At the end, when my question how is that possible wasn't so important anymore (I only knew for sure that it had to be from some medical procedure), and when I started to fall in deep depression, my PCR's, Elisa and Westernblot came back negative. They realized that my blood sample was mixed up with the blood of the HIV+ person!!! I can't talk about what me and my family went and are still going through...it isn't even neccesary - you know. I just hope my babies are OK after all this.Tears are coming and coming when I hear about an infected person. I am sending a big hug and a biggest kiss to all persons with HIV and AIDS.

Hello Future Mommy,

Congratulations and WOO-HOO!!! Yes, a technical or clerical error can account for a false-positive test result. Your history of getting HIV from a medical procedure did not seem feasible to me. I'm delighted you took my advice and insisted on follow-up testing and that the error was discovered. Is the testing facility looking into what happened with the blood mix-up? That's a serious error! If you got someone's HIV-positive result, then chances are some HIV+ person also got your negative result! Appropriate follow-up and perhaps even legal action may be warranted.

Best of luck with your new arrivals! I'm sure they will be absolutely fine!

Test Monitoring
Thank You!!!!