Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

reply to "false positive (pregnant)"
Feb 24, 2006

Dear Dr. Bob,

you have answered my question on Jan 26, 2006 under title "false positive (pregnant)"

Immediately after I was given results I wrote to you about, I insisted on PCR... At first I strongly believed that I had false positive results due to my multiple pregnancy. Later I red more about which antibodies are present in the blood of HIV + person, compared them with the Westernblot results I was given, and lost hope. Dr. were telling me that HIV positive results are given to a patient only after they are checked few times!!! At the end, when my question how is that possible wasn't so important anymore (I only knew for sure that it had to be from some medical procedure), and when I started to fall in deep depression, my PCR's, Elisa and Westernblot came back negative. They realized that my blood sample was mixed up with the blood of the HIV+ person!!! I can't talk about what me and my family went and are still going through...it isn't even neccesary - you know. I just hope my babies are OK after all this.Tears are coming and coming when I hear about an infected person. I am sending a big hug and a biggest kiss to all persons with HIV and AIDS.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Future Mommy,

Congratulations and WOO-HOO!!! Yes, a technical or clerical error can account for a false-positive test result. Your history of getting HIV from a medical procedure did not seem feasible to me. I'm delighted you took my advice and insisted on follow-up testing and that the error was discovered. Is the testing facility looking into what happened with the blood mix-up? That's a serious error! If you got someone's HIV-positive result, then chances are some HIV+ person also got your negative result! Appropriate follow-up and perhaps even legal action may be warranted.

Best of luck with your new arrivals! I'm sure they will be absolutely fine!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Test Monitoring
Next
Thank You!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.