HIV and Fatigue

I'm HIV+ (asymptomatic) going on 18 years. For the last several years, I've noticed a burgeoning fatigue, that is sometimes debilitating. As you know, fatigue and HIV can come in many shapes and sizes; most of them interrelated.

At first, we addressed my low testosterone levels with Androgel, which stopped this "oh God I'm going to die!" feeling at the end of the day.

I've been on different regimens of medications. Currently: Reyataz, 3TC, Norvir, Viread (this combo, about 2+ years).

My bloodwork is very good (CD4 612, %'s at 30, last PCR was undetectable). I eat right, exercise, lift weights. But I'm fatigued all the time.

I do have a mild form of obstructive apnea, which we're trying to deal with (I had sinus surgery, and I still have to use nasty sinus sprays like Afrin). That certainly contributes.

Doesn't matter how much I sleep; and I could sleep all day and night if I allowed myself to, literally. I force myself out of bed.

Yes, I've had some stress, some of it serious - but it's nothing I'm not accusomted to.

I've had allergy panels done - nothing serious there.

So, I'm currently working with my regular doc to get some type of diagnosis ; partly to bolster my Social Security claim, but also to TRY and find some solutions.

I'd like your insight into this issue - I'm sure others suffer the same, and there's no real identifiable cause (that I can tell). It's frustrating, because I want to go back to work, and I simply can't... stay... awake! I had an interview yesterday and I thought I was going to fall asleep, when I got home, I felt horrible. No drama, just fatigue.

Thank you ever so much! I certainly will pass on any insight you have to my doctor as well.

I'm always reminded of that Joni Mitchell song "Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you've got till it's gone" when I think about HIV-related fatigue. True, she was talking about paradise and parking lots and stuff like that, but the analogy still seems to fit. "Energy!" We all love it; we miss it when we lose it and we try like hell to get it back. Fatigue is one of the most, if not the most, frequent complaints of those of us who are virally enhanced. As you suggested, the cause of the HIV-related fatigue often turns out to be several causes working in tandem to zap our zippity do-dah! There are many potential causes of HIV-related fatigue. The best approach is to identify as many as possible and treat each underlying condition. You can check the archives of the Forum on Anemia and Fatigue for a complete discussion of the common causes (inadequate sleep, rest diet and exercise; anxiety and depression; concurrent infections; hormonal imbalances; anemia; medication side effects; drug interactions; listening to Bush speak; etc.) and the not-so-common causes (sleep apnea, narcolepsy, etc.). Discuss these potential causes with your HIV specialist. It often takes several visits and some collaborative detective work involving both you and your HIV specialist to figure out what is really wrong and what to do about it.

In your case, pay particular attention to:

1. Hypogonadism. You report your AndroGel stopped your "Oh God I'm going to die!" feeling. But has your "free testosterone" level come back into the mid-normal range? Your AndroGel dose may need to be regulated (increased) to optimize its effectiveness.

2. Sleep apnea. Continue to work with your ENT physician on this problem. It certainly could be a contributing factor!

3. Psychological problems being "accusomted" to "serious" stress doesn't mean it's not a significant contributing factor to chronic fatigue. A psych evaluation may help in this regard.

4. You report being on your current HAART regimen for 2+ years. You also report "for the last several years I've noticed a burgeoning fatigue." Any chance your fatigue increased when these new meds were started? Also, check for drug-drug interactions.

Hopefully some of these suggestions will help identify some of the underlying causes of your fatigue.

Good luck!

You Are THE BODY errr!
herbal vs western treatment