Hey Dr. Bob

Hello Dr. Bob,

You probably don't remember me, but I asked a question a year ago in reference to HIV. Now being positive for about 3 years now, I am doing well. I still do not need medication and my health is very good. I am about to graduate from school and I am looking forward to my professional ballet career. I see that there is a lot of new research coming out that looks promising. I wanted to let you know I look up to your for your strength and warmth. Again, thank you for taking the time to respond. I hope all is well. I do have one question, what vitamins would you recommend to assist with fatigue?

Sincerely yours, A fellow survivor

Hi Fellow Survivor,

Unless you have a specific vitamin deficiency, vitamins in and of themselves are not a treatment for HIV-related fatigue (or any other type of fatigue either). That said, I should also point out that good nutrition is extremely important for us poz folks. Being "virally enhanced," we need to increase the amount of quality foods we eat just to maintain our lean body weight. Many of us may find it difficult to shop for and prepare nutritious meals all the time, particularly if you happen to live next door to In-and-Out Burger and Krispy Kremes! Consequently, we could lack some essential vitamins and minerals. So, I recommend one quality multivitamin/mineral supplement per day.

Review the archives of this forum for additional information on the causes and treatments of HIV-related fatigue. Also discuss fatigue with your HIV specialist. You might need to check for hormonal imbalances (testosterone, thyroid, etc.) and/or other conditions that might contribute to your fatigue. Exercise is important, but since you are preparing for a professional ballet career, I assume you are getting plenty of exercise pirouetting all over the place.

Good luck! Stay well.

Fatigue
Is it teeny tiny? or itty bitty?