blood transfusion and hiv

I have been HIV posetive for 6 years and my husband is not despite the fact that we have a baby together who is 2 years and we sometimes have unprotected sex. He is suggesting we try blood trasfusion to see if that will not make a difference to my status or even progression of my disease??? We are also intending to have another child. Is it better to do it now or wait until i am on tratmen and my viral load is under control before i do? My CD4 count is still above 350.

Blood transfusions are not a treatment for HIV. The virus is in many body tissues other than blood. I suggest you and your husband talk to an HIV specialist about realistic treatment options. (There is also a wealth of information here on this site and related links.)

Your husband is placing himself at considerable risk every time he has unprotected sex with you. I strongly encourage the use of latex condoms and safer sex techniques. An open discussion with an HIV/AIDS specialist should also address HIV prevention/transmission and safer sexual practices. Again, there is considerable information on all these topics on this Web site.

Regarding pregnancy, your HIV specialist will refer you to an HIV-knowledgeable obstetrician. For your husband's safety, artificial insemination is recommended. You will also need optimal management of your HIV infection to decrease the chances that you will transmit the virus to your unborn child. With proper care, the risk of vertical transmission can be greatly minimized.

For yours and your family's sake, please take some time to learn about HIV and your illness.

anemia and HIV +
No question, just thanks for support