Why my CD4 count is too low

Hi Dr Robert

First I would like to you and your colleagues for providing continuous advice on HIV related issues.

My question is I have been diagnosed with HIV 5 years ago. Initially my VL was 6 million and my CD4 count was 30. I was very ill at the time. My doctor put on HIV drugs straight away. Three month after I started the medication my VL drop considerably dropped to 50. However, my CD4 never goes up more than 150. The last four years I never get ill and I am working with full energy. Although I am happy that VL is remains low, my CD4 count is warring me a lot. I am in good diet and feel healthy. What do you think is the reason for my CD4 count remaining low whilst my VL is undetectable? Thanks, BD.

Without knowing much more about your particular case, it is difficult for me to comment. Certainly the fact your viral load dropped from 6 million to undetectable within three months of beginning HAART indicates you've had an excellent virologic response to your treatment. Your immunologic response, an increase in CD4 cells from 30 to 150, while good has not been as robust. The degree of immune reconstitution seen with HAART varies considerably from person to person and is dependent on many factors, such as host immune response and viral strain characteristics. I would suggest you talk to your HIV/AIDS specialist. He should be able to give you additional insights into your particular situation. Consideration may be given to changing or intensifying your HAART regimen or adding an immune modulator.

Good luck!

false positive (pregnant)?
Not a question, just want to say thanks